School Mental Health – Know Your Rights!
The Hatch Letter: Protect and Promote Parental Rights in School Mental Health
Due to Texas legislation passed this year, our school system is undergoing a change. With threat assessment teams and an increased focus on school mental health, parents need to be prepared for intrusive questions, attempts to get them to consent to mental health screening and mental health referrals for their children. Parents with school-aged children need to know their rights.
While there are other tools, one of the first things parents can do is file a statement known as a “Hatch Letter” with their school, putting them on notice that they do not want their child questioned, screened, or exposed to certain material; and expect full access to their child’s records and teaching materials.
Suicide and Mass Violence
Suicide and Mass Violence:
Why We Must All Insist on an Investigation of Mind-Altering Psychotropic Drugs
By Lee Spiller, Executive Director
Citizens Commission on Human Rights-Texas
In the wake of the recent spate of mass shootings, there’s a story you probably missed. It’s about a potential mass shooting that never happened. It was thwarted by a grandmother. (It’s important to note that the defendant has only been accused, not convicted)
The case illustrates why more mental health treatment is the wrong answer to curbing violence.
On Friday, the US Justice Department issued a press release about the arrest of a young man accused of making false representations to a gun dealer while purchasing an AK-47. It also credited a grandmother for thwarting a potential mass shooting.
What’s particularly disturbing is that when federal officials went to his hotel room to recover the firearms, they also found a bag with documents related to his history of depression, along with antidepressant drugs.
Watch This Important Recent News Report on Texas Foster Children
Watch This Important Video on the Drugging of Children with Psychiatric Drugs!
Watch ABC 20/20 Expose on Foster Children on Psychotropic Drugs
The Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services has just issued a scathing new report on the drugging of Medicaid children in a number of states, including Texas. You need to watch this video and look at this story by CBS News! Medicaid children in Texas are being given powerful antipsychotic drugs […]
- WARNING: The Antipsychotic Drugging of Texas Foster Care and Medicaid Children Continues
- Suicide and Mass Violence: Why We Must All Insist on an Investigation of Mind-Altering Psychotropic Drugs
- School Mental Health – Know Your Rights!
- Despite Warnings, the Texas Legislature Plans to Privatize Much of the Child Welfare System
- What Led to the ‘Broken’ Foster Care System in Texas
- What Happens After a Life Spent in the Texas Foster Care System?
- Texas Foster Care System Faces Concerns About Overmedication of Children
- Senate panel proposes $75.3 million to start fixing Child Protective Services
- “Beat on me,” foster care chief tells lawmakers. And they do.
- State leaders order Child Protective Services overhaul
- Texas not checking on thousands of kids at risk for abuse
- Number of Texas children in foster care at all time high
- Judge orders changes to fix ‘broken’ foster care system
- Horrors of Texas Foster Care Are Not Materially Unlike Better Known Atrocities
- Abbott Picks New Leaders For Texas CPS
- Texas Mom Gets ‘Formal Apology’ After CPS Takes Custody of Her 9-Year-Old Daughter
- Foster Home Crunch Strands Children in Psych Facilities
- Foster Care, Dead Children, and Greg Abbott’s Cognitive Dissonance
- ‘You Get Tired:’ What the Retiring Leader of Texas’ Foster Care System Told Us
- Courts Rebuff Texas Bid to Slow Foster Care Fixes